Sunday 10 April 2011

A Sunday Afternoon Walk





I hadn't been to the lake for a while so we decided to have a walk down this afternoon. As we approached the Redshank flew up. The rowing boat was in the shallows with quite a bit of water in so I suggested pulling it on to the bank but I soon changed my mind as a water hen has decided to make her nest on the seat, eight eggs. I used to have an uncle who each Spring would ask " how high were the water hens nests" his theory being this would be a sign for how wet the summer would be. What would he have said of this one? Next we found a goose nest, five Greylag eggs. Didn't stay long as the Redshank were coming back again. Walked on passed the clay pit, lots of snipe about and the marsh marigolds look good. Then on to the sedge bed, the toad spawn is looking promising. Came back by the newly laid hedges, coming into leaf now. Our Forest of Bowland Holiday Cottages