Tuesday 16 February 2010

Is there light at the end of the tunnel ?

Our Forest of Bowland Holiday Cottages One of the animals that has not only survived but positively thrived in the extreme winter weather is the mole. Mole hills seem to be popping up every way you look. On Saturday I could put it off no longer and the traps were retrieved from the depths of the garage and with more gritted teeth than enthusiasm I set out to set them. By Monday the population was five down. Tuesday morning was misty and cold and as my fingers tingled with cold delving into the sodden soil I was wishing I had chosen a warmer job when out of the mist a lapwing got up and flew to the next field__ the first tewit call of the year !And if that didn't manage to warm me through five minutes later I was glowing, seeing and hearing a pair of curlew. So even though the morning began looking bleak, there is light at the end of the tunnel and Spring will soon be here.

http://www.bleasdalecottages.co.uk/