Thursday 9 December 2010

Winter Projects.

Our Forest of Bowland Holiday Cottages

As I lay in bed this morning juggling the days jobs in my head " UPDATE THE BLOG " was screaming at me so here goes.

Our 10years of the Countryside Stewardship Scheme came to an end so that meant a whole new list of projects for the Higher Level Scheme to begin. Robert made a good start on the extra bunds and scrapes for the Lapwing Project. The hedge laying that was planned for Nov/Dec has now been postponed, first for the heavy rain and then for the snow-Health and Safety. It is now pencilled in for the New Year as is the planting of the new fruit trees. Yesterday I had a message to say the new owl boxes were ready for collecting.

As I went through the young woodland recently it was good to see an abundance of berries on the hollies, even a few hazel nuts (that's a first) and I have never before seen so many sloes. Walking home accross the fields there were plenty of snipe about. I even caught sight of a woodcock as I drove back from a meeting at dusk. Another night sighting - Robert went out to check one of the new security lights and on his wanderings between the timed phases he shone his torch along the brook and was surprised to see a group of brown trout, 3-4 inches long. The ducks are back at the lake now the ice is thawing.